Week 6 Reading and Lecture
Please Read: Chapter 10 “Map Color and Other Channels”
- Excellent coverage of how color can be used effectively in data visualization.
Please Read/Skim: ColorBrewer.org: An Online Tool for Selecting Colour Schemes for Maps (pdf)
- Also try out http://colorbrewer2.org, widely regarded as hands down the best color tool for visualization.
- See also d3-scale-chromatic, the ColorBrewer colors packaged as a D3 plugin!
Please Read/Skim: Practical Rules for Using Color in Charts by Stephen Few (pdf)
- This is really great, practical advice on how to use (and how not to use) color.
- Visualizing Campaign Finances in the US - Cognitive Stability 42:49 - 45:30 (3 min)
- My own personal revelation on "Cognitive Stability" relating to color.
- Being Clever with Color by Cole Nussbaumer (30 min)
- Really nice lecture on using color effectively in data visualization.