Assignment: Sketch Proposal
Please watch this:
Please choose one of your three potential datasets to use for your project.
- If you find a new and more interesting data set, you may choose to use that one. It should fall within the criteria for the "Find 3 datasets" assignment. If you find one you'd like to use, please create one of those data summary bl.ocks and send it to me (via Slack direct message) so I can have a look and make sure a project is doable with it.
This assignment is about creating a first draft of your project proposal, featuring hand-drawn sketches.
- Create a document, starting from this template: Data Visualization Project Proposal Sketch
- Fill in the pieces of the template document, removing everything in parentheses.
- copy the text and links from your dataset summary bl.ock
- paste a screenshot of your “visualize 3 datasets” block that shows this dataset and copy the text and links from there
- Come up with a set of 3 or more tasks or questions that an interactive visualization of this data could facilitate (have another look at Chapter 3 for examples of questions and tasks for visualizations).
- Brainstorm about possible ways the dataset can be visualized. Think about it in terms of marks and channels, related to the tasks.
- Brainstorm about what interactions might be possible with this data. For example, interactively changing the column(s), zooming and panning, interactive filtering with brushing, scrolling to navigate through different scenes, hovering for more details, clicking on things to select the, multiple linked visualizations where interactions in one can affect the others.
- Create at least one hand-drawn sketch of an interactive visualization or set of visualizations. Literally use paper. No digital tools for this. Scan it or take a picture of it, then insert that image into the document.
- Write a text description of the visualization and interactions you envision (between one paragraph and one page - not more than one page).
- Review the grading criteria.
- Submit a document (e.g. Word, Google Doc, PDF) that contains your work.